One of my buddies just pulled the trigger on the new 13″ MacBook Pro at a big box electronics store that price matched the best deal on the web. After he told me about the score, I said I would share with him my favorite and essential downloads for the my iMac. I hope he’s enjoying his insanely great laptop! Most of these downloads all have free versions:
- Perian which gives QuickTime the ability to support other video and audio formats
- Flip4Mac: Playing of Windows Media files in QuickTime.
- Seashore, a free image editor
- Zipeg to deal with all of those pesky zipped and compressed files
- iTivo allows you to upload and download shows to your TiVo as well as sync them with iTunes (and therefore your iphone or ipod). Yes, it’s a great way to watch TV shows on the go.
- Boxee a media center front end for the MAC. It lets you watch many of the free TV shows on the web.
- Google Earth: Always fun with the kids!
- Firefox web browser in case you want things like the google toolbar.
- ClamXav: A Free virus scanner for the MAC. Actually it’s the only free virus scanner for the MAC I could find. With Snow Leopard, its less important, but its still good to have it around for piece of mind.
- Remote Desktop for PCs: If you need to remote control PCs you have at home or the office this is handy especially when paired with the iMac’s awesome screen.
- LogMeIn: Remotely control your Mac from wherever you are.
- VLC: An open source media player that can handle a ton of formats and streaming video.
On top of that, there are a ton of free dashboard widgets you can load up on your Mac as well. Any other suggestions, please comment.