PS3 Netflix Client 2.0.5 Released

October 18, 2011

The Netflix client for the Playstation3 was recently updated to version 2.0.5. For some time, the PS3′s Netflix client has been plagued by audio problems. In particular, an earlier update created issues with movies and TV shows with surround sound. As members of the AVS Forum pointed out, the PS3 would not pass Dolby Digital to the receiver but instead decode the signal itself. In some cases, not all of the audio channels would be passed properly to the receiver. In addition, since the receiver was not doing the decoding, it couldn’t perform any post-processing on the audio (i.e. room correction). Well, all of that is fixed now. The PS3 properly passes bit-streamed Dolby Digital to the receiver. Unlike the Roku 2, it’s passing regular Dolby Digital, not Dolby Digital Plus. For some titles, there’s noticeable difference between the two. A great example is the opening scene of the first episode of Lost (thanks AVS Forum member michaeltscott for pointing this out). Dolby Digital Plus offers much richer sound and a wider soundscape. The other benefit of Dolby Digital Plus is that it’s more efficient with network bandwidth. This makes the Roku 2 the better Netflix choice. Sound good?

Dolby Digital is now properly passed by the PS3′s Netflix client
Update: In addition, a number of PS3 Netflix users are reporting that their UI has changed as well. Tired Guest posted a picture in the comments below of what the new interface looks like. With the HTML5 interface that runs on the PS3 and many other Netflix-enabled devices, the UI can be updated independent of a software update. Historically, the PS3 gets the UI changes before the other devices do. Personally, I think further reducing the number of titles on displayed on the screen is a step backwards.

Tags: Dolby, Netflix, Playstation3, PS3, surround

8 Responses to PS3 Netflix Client 2.0.5 Released

1. Tired Guest on October 19, 2011 at 12:13 am

Sigh, unfortunately, the new update has now blown up the UI. It is now so zoomed in, that only 3 dvd covers show with the title summary column blocking the 4th and the half 5th covers.

2. Michael Scott on October 19, 2011 at 1:17 am

In this particular case I think that DD versus DD+ is a big deal.  Compared to DD+ streamed from the Roku 2, DD from the PS3 is weak–stereo sounds better.  I could easily believe that it's outputting the DD core of Netflix's 384 Kbps DD+ soundtrack.  (I use the pilot of Lost as my 5.1 sound standard–the after plane crash on the beach scene at the beginning is a very busy soundscape).

3. The Hub on October 19, 2011 at 8:46 am

Thanks! You're right. A definite difference between Lost on the Roku 2 XS and the PS3. I think there are some surround titles that do not take advantage of DD+'s potential but they may have been some of the first surround titles added to Netflix. I've updated the article to reflect your comments.

4. The Hub on October 19, 2011 at 9:05 am

The "zoomed" in HTML5 interface started rolling out last February. Folks have received the update at different times. See here for the original story:

5. Still Tired Guest on October 19, 2011 at 9:59 am

Yes, the current PS3 UI was first introduced back in February. What I'm referring to now, is that the Oct 18 update has resulted in an even further zoomed in image. See this screencap.

6. The Hub on October 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

Oh my! I'm glad I did not get hit with this update. Netflix does not need to upgrade the client to change the UI.

7. Mustnotspam on October 20, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I absolutely hate the new interface. I have an old CRT TV and can only see about a quarter of the screen.

8. Alexius on December 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I'm having the same ZOOOM issue that you had.  Did you ever fix it?