Torchwood: Miracle Day No Longer on Netflix

November 29, 2011

Update: As of April 4th, Torchwood: Miracle Day disappeared again. I’m in the middle of investigating what happened. Soon as I have some news on this, I will post more.

Update (April 9th, 2012): It’s definitely gone for the time being. However, Netflix is pursuing adding back Torchwood: Miracle Day at a future date. If you can’t wait, you have a few options: Purchase the Blu-ray at Amazon. You can also subscribe to Starz for one month and watch it via Starz On-line or On-Demand.

If you blinked, you would have missed it. Torchwood: Miracle Day is no longer available on Netflix streaming. To Netflix customers, it was a surprise since the series only became available less than two months ago. While the short appearance may not have been something the Torchwood team would investigate, it was a mystery made for Tech of the Hub.

Actually, it wasn’t much of a mystery. According to official Netflix sources, Miracle Day is now “out of window” and was not affected by the fact that the current content agreement with Starz is about to expire in February 2012. In another words, Netflix no longer has rights to stream it and has to negotiate new licensing for it to reappear. Unlike the situation where a number of Sony films suddenly disappeared from Netflix this past summer (a cap on the number of times the films could be viewed), the short availability window was already defined by contract. This is confirmed by the fact that weeks ago Netflix had flagged Miracle Day as not being available as of November 25th (however, there’s less consumer visibility on expiring titles). The only ways to see Miracle Day now are through Starz on-demand or via Blu-ray from Amazon  (it’s a UK import that may not work on some US TVs/Blu-ray players).

The good news is that the first three Torchwood seasons are still available on Netflix (and Amazon Prime Video) as they are sourced from the BBC. Starz controls the US distribution rights for Torchwood: Miracle Day (series 4). Starz walked away from the negotiating table when Netflix refused to charge an additional premium for their content. Given this, I would not expect to see Torchwood: Miracle Day back on Netflix anytime soon. There are currently just under 1,000 titles in the Netflix catalog from Starz. A number of those titles are recent releases such as Tron: Legacy and Tangled. While Reed Hastings has stated that Starz content only makes up a small portion of the Netflix catalog, we haven’t seen any comparably-sized content deal yet to replace it. Hopefully, whatever replaces it will be available in HD as all of the Starz movies are in standard definition and not worthy of today’s home theater.

Torchwood: Captain Jack
Captain Jack has disappeared once again

Tags: Netflix, shows, streaming, Torchwood, TV

13 Responses to Torchwood: Miracle Day No Longer on Netflix

1. Evan Clements on November 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I was watching the season of Miracle Day.  I had two episodes left, 9 and 10.  I check my Que daily.  There was NOTHING, no date indicating it would disappear.  I feel screwed by Netflix AGAIN.   It's a poor way to operate.

• snidely on April 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Same for us as well. Now I’m caught chasing around the inernet to find the last two episodes so I can finally let go of Torchwood-and Netflix.

2. jheartney on November 30, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I'd known it was going; my wife saw the date it was leaving on another web site. I managed to get it all watched.

3. The Hub on December 2, 2011 at 2:28 pm

One way to see if a title is expiring:

4. Thundrsong on December 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

It looks like this was more a case of Starz screwing you over and Netflix learning from their recent missteps.  Starz had asked Netflix to charge customers an additional premium for their content and Netflix refused.

5. Jon_the_heretic on December 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I had no idea it was leaving right after it appeared. It makes no freakin sense. I am so pissed. Netflix streaming goes bye bye my next renewal period. What has started to suck gets suckier by the day. Unfreakin believable suck.

6. MDMo8o33 on February 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Torchwood has returned.

• Gabe Gagliano on February 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Just looked on the Roku and Netflix website and season 4, Miracle Day is still missing. This is due to the fact that Miracle Day is licensed from a different company than the other three season (BBC vs. Starz).

7. hali on April 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Miracle Day was only made available to me on netflix streaming yesterday. Yesterday was the 3rd of april. then this morning it had disappeared. can someone please explain this to me?

• shinra on April 4, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Same here. I was watching it last night now it’s gone.

• Gabe Gagliano on April 4, 2012 at 10:59 pm

From what I can tell it wasn’t flagged to leave Netflix (it wasn’t on the list of titles expiring in April). Perhaps it’s a glitch and it will show up again soon. Or sometimes shows and movies disappear for periods because of contratual obligations. If it doesn’t appear soon, I see what else I can find out.

8. Matt Jessup on April 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm

What a jip. Apparently they don’t want anyone to actually watch the show, lol.

9. Cynthia Elliott on November 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I really think it was wrong of Netflix to take it down. Why am I paying them to watch shows when the shows that I want aren’t on there. I’m ready to close my account… My husband can’t even find anything on there he likes. You really need to get on the ball or you will lose a lot of customers.